Saturday, September 15, 2012

Competing with Google

http://www.sexysocialmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/real-time-search.jpg
Image location
This week in class, we discussed search engines and how to increase the page rank of your sites.  During the class, the professor talked about the way different companies are trying to change the game in order to compete with Google.  Google is the first choice for most people when using a Search Engine.  It is impossible to think that any search engine can come along that can defeat Google unless they incorporate new features.

One of the new features that was discussed in class is 'Real-Time' search.  The idea behind 'Real-Time' search is to find information that is happening now.  For example, earlier this year, I awoke at about 5am to a large commotion outside my apartment. There were police everywhere and a whole bunch of people in the street.  Curious as to what was going on, I went to Google.  However, I was unable to find anything of interest.  Luckily a quick search on EveryBlock found the reason for the unusual commotion on a normally quiet street.  Twitter is another example used in class that allows people to search for things happening in real time.

Another way to compete with Google is to incorporate your social network in your search.  Bing has recently offered users to sign into their Facebook account and take advantage of their friend's suggestions in their search.  Google is looking to launch something similar to compete with Bing in the near future.  However, Bing was the first to incorporate these new search ideas where Google has been weak in order to try and chip away from Google's dominance.

2 comments:

  1. When Professor Moore talked about "real time" search, I asked myself, "Does Twitter really offer anything relevant in real time?"

    I am now glad I looked at your post because you gave me a perfect example of how we can use Twitter for real time search. I also think I understand real time search better in general from reading your post. Thanks.

    I will be installing EveryBlock on my Twitter later today. What a cool tool!

    ~Jaclynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words Jaclynne. Yes, I agree that Twitter is fantastic for real-time search. By viewing the 'what's trending' you can see what people are talking about.

      In reference to EveryBlock, I actually subscribe to the RSS feed associated with my specific neighborhood. I also believe the IPhone has and app for EveryBlock. I find EveryBlock very helpful in letting me know what is going on in my Chicago neighborhood. Things like crime, neighborhood discussions, and restaurant reviews allow me to be a bit more 'in the know'.

      Thanks again for the comment.

      Mike

      Delete